To get started on PrEP, confer with your regular physician or nurse, or go to A health that is sexual Clinic. There are also other clinics offering PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC Health Map.
Is PrEP right in my situation?
To learn if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is actually for HIV-negative individuals who will be willing to just simply just take an everyday pill.
You should look at PrEP that is taking if:
- Usually do not always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently had a sexually transmitted disease (sti)
- Do have more than one partner that is sexual
- Have partner who may have sex along with other lovers
- Have partner who has got HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Want to conceive having a partner who may have HIV
- Have partner whom will not obtain an HIV test
- Have sexual intercourse for the money, medications or an accepted destination to keep
- Inject drugs or have partner whom injects medications
How can PrEP stop HIV?
If you’re confronted with HIV, the medicines in PrEP stop the herpes virus from distributing during your human anatomy, preventing an HIV disease. PrEP just works when you have sufficient medicine within you, which means you want to simply take PrEP every single day.
Truvada® — the only medicine currently approved as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are the exact same medicines that are safe many individuals with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Exactly what are the relative unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to deal with people who have HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP try not to report any relative unwanted effects. For many who do, probably the most common side-effects are sickness, upset belly, weakness and headaches. These symptoms frequently have better or go away inside the very first thirty days of using PrEP. Rare side-effects consist of renal or bone tissue issues. Your medical professional or nursing assistant makes it possible to handle any negative effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for folks who use the capsule at the least four days per week. Your HIV danger is significantly reduced invest the PrEP each day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, it offers helped reduce brand new HIV infections across new york.
If We simply take PrEP, do We still need to make use of condoms?
PrEP is definitely A hiv that is effective choice for individuals who don’t use condoms each time they have intercourse, but PrEP only protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and pregnancy that is unintended.
Just how do I simply simply take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a supplement as soon as a time, also on times that you don’t have sex or inject drugs.
PrEP is recommended with a medical practitioner or nursing assistant.
- Prior to starting PrEP: Your doctor or nursing assistant will test you to definitely be sure that you don’t have HIV and therefore your kidneys and liver are healthier.
- You every three months for HIV and at least every six months for other STIs while you are on PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test.
For more information on what to expect whenever PrEP that is taking an individual’s help Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
The length of time does it simply take for PrEP be effective?
Studies claim that you’ll want to simply just take PrEP that is daily for minimum:
- A week before PrEP provides maximum security when you might be the receptive or “bottom” partner during anal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you’re the receptive partner during vaginal sex, or whenever you inject medications.
It is really not yet understood what number of times you will need to just just take PrEP before it could offer maximum security if you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or genital sex.
How to pay money for PrEP?
In nyc State, PrEP is included in Medicaid & most medical health insurance plans.
If you don’t have insurance or have actually a higher co-pay, perhaps you are qualified to receive a russian brides club patient support system that will help buy PrEP. Medical clinics can additionally apply help patients. It is possible to enlist into an insurance that is low-cost by calling 311.
Find out about your re Payment choices for PrEP (PDF).
Could I get PrEP if i will be an immigrant that is undocumented
Immigration status will not influence your capability getting PrEP. You can easily properly talk to staff at our Sexual Health Clinics about how your immigration status may influence your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention techniques.
If i will be included in my moms and dads’ insurance coverage, will they be notified that i’m on PrEP?
No. Even though you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization is not needed to start out PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and relevant visits to the center will likely be private.
If you’re included in your mother and father’ insurance coverage, you are able to make a plan to get rid of an “Explanation of Advantages” form from being provided for your parents or policyholder. Your PrEP provider can really help you with this particular procedure.
Exactly exactly How else could I remain HIV-negative?
- Learn about crisis PEP. If you should be maybe not taking PrEP and think you had been recently confronted with HIV, get straight away to your medical professional or a crisis room and have for PEP, a crisis medicine that may avoid HIV. You could phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to begin with on PEP straight away. The hotline can be obtained 24/7.
- Utilize condoms as frequently as you can. Get the type and size of condom you want. Condoms are offered for free in most five boroughs. To get our where you could obtain a free condom, call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Use water-based or silicone-based lubricant, especially during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the best way to understand in the event that you or perhaps a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about evaluation. Ask your intercourse lovers in regards to the time that is last had an HIV test. To be certain, get tested together.
- Support your lovers coping with HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to obtain HIV care and simply just simply take their medicines every so they stay healthy and do not pass HIV to others day.
- Get examined for other STIs. STIs causes it to be more straightforward to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent drugs and alcohol when you yourself have intercourse. Getting or drinking high when you’ve got sex makes it difficult to keep in mind to utilize condoms. For make it possible to avoid using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are offered for over 200 languages.
- Utilize clean syringes (PDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid sharing syringes, cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you could get clean syringes in the town.
PrEP for females
PrEP can be an effective hiv avoidance choice for cisgender and transgender females whenever taken daily.
Ladies who have actually genital intercourse have to be specially careful to just simply simply take PrEP each and every day to keep medicine that is enough their genital muscle to stop an HIV infection.
Ladies who have intercourse with ladies and whom might be confronted with HIV through sex or injecting medications can benefit from PrEP also.
Will PrEP affect my birth prevention?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP doesn’t restrict hormone-based contraception. PrEP just stops HIV, so that you nevertheless need certainly to make use of contraception or condoms to stop pregnancy that is unintended other STIs.
Will PrEP affect my hormone treatment?
No. There’s no proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the known degrees of hormones within your body. Analysis has discovered that transgender ladies who simply just simply take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Am I able to simply just take PrEP while looking to get pregnant or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect women that want to conceive a young child having A hiv-positive partner. PrEP is safe for the mom and youngster both during and after maternity, and contains maybe not demonstrated an ability to influence fertility.
If you want to just take PrEP while attempting to conceive, consult with your physician. You might need certainly to consult a specialist to get more guidance about making use of PrEP in this manner.